John Mikeska – WWA Board Member, 2017 & 2018
Genoa City, WI
1. How old were you when you started fishing? On what Lake did you get started fishing?
I believe my father was taking me fishing about the time i started walking! The first lake i ever fished
was Fish Lake in Volo, Il. while on a family weekend at the Fish Lake Camp Grounds.
2. Who was your first hero or mentor in the fishing world?
Definately my father! He was a skillled outdoorsman with patience. His sharing had tought me the
base fundamentals of hunting, fishing and the love of the outdoors which i carry to this day!
3. How did you get started tournament fishing? And what made you jump in?
There was a weekend that my son and i were Walleye fishing on Lake Koshkonong and a local
tournament was running…We watched the weigh-in and realized we could of won that day with the
Walleye we had caught! We signed up and never looked back!
4. What is your bread and butter, go-to tactic on the water?
There are several presentations that i enjoy depending on the body of water! Ok actually i admit #1
for me would have to be trolling!
5. Outside of competitive fishing, what do you do for your 9-5 job?
Self employed owner Genoa City Heating & Cooling Inc.
6. What accomplishments are you most proud of in the tournament world?
Learning new techniques and presentations on a new body of water is very rewarding to me!
7. Other than the Fox Chain, what is your favorite body of water to fish and why?
Greenbay is my #1 favorite because it offers the opportinity to work a wide variety of presentations
and techniques throughout the year!
8. Outside of fishing, what are your hobbies? What do you do for fun?
I Love being in the outdoors! Hunting is my other passion bow hunting, muzzle loader, chasing
whitetail, bear, turkey, pheasant hunting over pointers and flushing dogs and of course ice fishing!
9. What is your favorite tournament moment?
I think the most memorable tournament experience was during an MWC tournament on Winnebago
on day 1 the bite was virtually non existent for us and day 2 we found active fish and weighed in with
a full bag! It was a big wow moment….
10. How big was your best Walleye and what lake did you get it on?
My personal best came from Greenbay 30+ inch.